Feed your family for under a fiver
The festive period can stretch our budgets, so to save a bit of cash this January see how you can feed a family of four for under £5 with our cheap and healthy beef stew.
Beef stew with sweet potato and cabbage
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil (0.05p)
- 400g of beef (£3.70)
- 2 x white onions (38p each)
- 2 x cloves of garlic (5p each)
- 500ml of beef stock (10p)
- 1 teaspoon of chili (10p)
- 2 x sweet potatoes (16p each)
- 1/3 of a cabbage (23p per third)
Total cost £4.72
(These costings were taken from ASDA on Tuesday 9 January 2018)
- Add one teaspoon of vegetable oil into a pan on a medium heat.
- Add half the beef to the pan, fry on a high heat until brown and put into a bowl.
- Repeat with the second half (this is so the pan isn’t overcrowded – it is better if the beef is caramelised on the outside of the pan).
- Roughly chop the onions and garlic cloves.
- Turn to a medium heat and add to the same pan as the beef and cook for five minutes.
- Add the stock and stir well.
- Season with the teaspoon of chill.
- Cook for 90 minutes on gas mark three (or 160c).
- While the stew is in the oven, peel the sweet potatoes and chop into large chunks.
- After the ninety minutes remove the stew from the oven and add the sweet potatoes and mix.
- Return to the oven and cook for 30 more minutes.
- Add finely sliced cabbage and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!